4 lbs. DiCarlo Sweet Onions, Sliced 1/4″ Thick
1/4 cup DiCarlo Olive Oil
1 lb. 12oz. DiCarlo Fresh Basil, Shredded
3 oz. Jalapeno Peppers, Seeded, Chopped
1/4 cup DiCarlo White Wine Vinegar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
48 Slices Sourdough Bread
24 DiCarlo Portabello Mushroom Caps, (4 to 5 oz. each)
DiCarlo Olive Oil, As Needed
Salt, As Needed
1 lb. 8oz. Fontina or Monterey Jack Cheese, in 1oz. Slices
24 DiCarlo Fresh Basil Sprigs
- To make relish, divide onion between 2 sheet pans.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over each pan; toss onions to coat.
- Bake onions at 400F, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes; let cool.
- Coarsely chop onion.
- Mix onion with remaining relish ingredients. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Grill or toast 2 slices of bread; reserve.
- Lightly score top of 1 portabello mushroom cap in a diamond pattern; on the grill side, cut a shallow X in the center where stem was attached. Brush mushroom cap with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 550F until tender and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes.
- Put portabello cap on 1 slice of bread.
- Top with 1/3 cup relish and 1 slice cheese. Partially cover with second slice of bread.
- Return to oven until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Garnish with basil sprig.
Yield: 24 Servings